Wooden furniture and floors are common in many homes. Although wood is a timeless material, it stains quite easily. Keep your wood floor nice or restore an old piece of furniture by removing stains caused by many factors
How do you remove stains from wood?
Often guests or ourselves forget to use an essential product with wooden furniture – drink coasters. Therefore, there is an ugly white ring on your beautiful coffee table. Fortunately, you have several options to remove the stain created by liquids with ordinary household items.
Before you get down to the stains, purchase the right cleaning accessories
Here are a few methods to try:
- Apply non-gel toothpaste to a soft cloth and rub it into the liquid ring. Then wipe clean with a damp cloth. Allow the wood to dry before applying the furniture polish.
- Make a homemade paste with equal parts water and baking soda. Rub into the stain in a circular motion until it disappears. When finished, wipe off the baking soda.
- Apply petroleum jelly to the watermark and leave it on overnight. In the morning, wipe off the jelly and the stain should appear with it.
How do you remove stains from hot items?
Heat marks are usually white. To remove them from painted wood surfaces, try this tip:
Create a paste using non-gel toothpaste and baking soda. Rub the mixture into the wood with a cloth until it feels warm. Wipe with a second damp cloth and dry immediately. You may need to repeat this process several times. Once the mark is gone, fortify the wood with furniture polish or oil.
How do I remove dark stains from wood?
If you come across a dark stain on your wood floor or furniture, you may wonder where it came from. If the stain wasn’t left by a heavily staining object, it could be a deep penetrating water stain.
White rings form when water or steam damages the finish. However, when water reaches the wood, black stains can form. These types of stains are much more difficult to remove. Here are two methods to try:
- Sand the dark stain with 100 grit sandpaper. To blend in the damaged area, apply 150 grit sandpaper to the edges of the stain. Don’t apply too much pressure. After sanding the stain, apply several thin coats of varnish to match the original finish. Brush the edges with super fine 0000 steel wool to blend with the surrounding wood. Finish with a high quality wood polish.
- With rubber gloves on, dip a brush into a bowl of bleach and apply it sparingly to the stained area. Leave the bleach on for several hours while the stain returns to its original color. Remove the bleach with a damp sponge and apply vinegar to neutralize the wood and prevent further bleaching. Allow the wood to dry and finish with a stain if necessary, followed by a high quality wood polish.
If you can’t remove those unbearable discolorations, you can always refinish old wooden furniture by painting it
How do I remove sticky marks from wood?
Sticky residues are extremely unsightly. Fortunately, you can remove them quite easily with vegetable oil. Rub it into the stain and let it sit for a few hours. Then simply wipe with soapy water (this works best on varnished wood, as oil can stain raw wood)
Of course, the best way to remove stains from wood is to avoid them! Use coasters to protect your wood from water, heat, and dark stains.