Choosing the right kitchen countertop has a huge impact on the daily use of the kitchen and the aesthetic appearance of the furniture. What materials can be used to make a kitchen countertop?
Which kitchen countertop to choose?
There is no clear answer to this question. Countertop should be selected according to the interior design and financial capabilities. If the countertop is to be cheap, but of average quality, then the best choice will be the laminate. More expensive are wooden countertops, the most expensive and most durable are stone countertops.
Review of materials for kitchen countertops
There are countertops of different materials available in the market. The most popular are the laminated ones due to their attractive price and wide choice of designs and colors.
Laminate kitchen countertop
Laminate kitchen countertops are the most common choice due to their price. Such countertops are made of 3.8 cm thick chipboard covered with a thin layer of laminate.
Advantages of laminate countertop:
- low price;
- wide selection of designs and colors;
- availability is more than 120 cm deep – thanks to this it can be used on a kitchen island;
- easy to keep clean;
- easy assembly – the worktop can be assembled independently;
- the possibility of matching it to any style of kitchen;
Disadvantages of laminate kitchen countertop:
- lack of resistance to water;
- every joint of the countertop is visible;
- low resistance to mechanical damage.
Wooden kitchen countertop
Wooden kitchen countertops are available in different types of wood products: solid, stave and glued. Stave wood countertops are the most popular because they are very durable and much less expensive than solid wood countertops.
Wooden countertops are most often chosen for Scandinavian, rustic, country, English and loft style kitchens. Wooden countertops are very beautiful, but they require regular care and may discolor when exposed to certain products.
Advantages of wooden countertops:
- elegant and natural appearance;
- it can be quickly repaired by sanding and repainting;
- durability for many years.
Disadvantages of wooden countertops:
- they can be easily damaged or scratched;
- discolour very quickly;
- they quickly become deformed e.g. due to hot pots.
Marble kitchen countertops
Marble is the stone least often chosen for kitchen countertops because it is difficult to keep clean – it discolors very quickly. This type of countertop requires special care, so it can serve for many years of use.
Advantages of marble kitchen countertops:
- color – marble countertops are almost white;
- striking multi-coloured veins on the stone.
Disadvantages of marble kitchen countertops:
- they discolor very quickly despite proper impregnation;
- these are the most expensive countertops available on the market;
- require regular impregnation and care;
Granite kitchen worktops
Granite countertops offer a timeless elegance that delights everyone. Granite is a very durable material that is easy to keep clean. It is not possible to install such a countertop on your own.
>> See: Wood for the wall – which one to choose?
The advantages of granite kitchen worktops
- very resistant to mechanical damage;
- high resistance to stains;
- elegant look fitting to any style.
Disadvantages of granite kitchen worktops
- installation must be done by a professional.
Quartz sintered kitchen countertops
Quartz sinter is made from a combination of natural materials, namely quartz sand, granite rock, slate clay and ceramic pigments. Sinter countertops come in large sizes, so they don’t need to be combined.
Advantages of kitchen worktops made of quartz sinters
- low water absorption,
- resistance to scratches,
- very thin and lightweight.
Disadvantages of quartz sinter kitchen countertops
- high price.
Acrylic kitchen worktops
Acrylic kitchen countertops, or acrylic conglomerates, are a very malleable material that can be molded any way you want. This material has many advantages, but when using it, one should be very careful.
Advantages of acrylic kitchen worktops
- very malleable material, which can be formed in any way,
- the possibility of choosing various patterns and colors,
- low water absorption.
Disadvantages of acrylic kitchen worktops
- lack of resistance to temperature,
- susceptibility to scratching,
- high price.
Quartz conglomerate kitchen worktops
Quartz conglomerate is made from 93-96% natural ground quartz that is bonded with artificial epoxy resin. The addition of the resin gives the quartz a unique color.
Advantages kitchen countertop made of quartz conglomerate
- low water absorption,
- resistance to scratching,
- the possibility of staining to a uniform color,
- the possibility of joining seamlessly.
Disadvantages of kitchen countertop made of quartz conglomerate
- high price.
Stainless steel tops
Stainless steel countertops are mainly used in catering because they are easy to keep clean. Such a countertop looks best in a modern, minimalist kitchen.
Ceramic tile countertops
Ceramic tile countertops are rare these days because of the difficulty in keeping them clean. Dirt gets into the joints and looks unsightly. Such countertops also have low impact resistance.