A home greenhouse allows you to grow vegetables all year round. Setting it up and managing it requires some knowledge. How to set it up and what can be grown in it?
Vegetables are mostly grown in a greenhouse. In February or March you can sow new vegetables such as radishes, spinach and lettuce. This way you can enjoy the first harvest in April. A greenhouse is also a perfect place to grow heat-loving vegetables; peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers. You can grow eggplants and zucchini in it.
Some fruits like strawberries can also be grown in a greenhouse. If the greenhouse is heated, it is possible to grow some exotic species like: pineapple, watermelon and melon. Some citrus species can be grown in an unheated greenhouse.
Greenhouse as an alternative to the popular plastic
A greenhouse is a more expensive and better alternative to plastic tunnels. A solidly built greenhouse can last for several years of trouble-free use. If it is heated, you can grow vegetables in it, even in winter. In a plastic tunnel, the first sowing can be done in March at the earliest.
Greenhouse, despite a number of advantages, also has disadvantages. The main one is the high price. Another one is low resistance to mechanical damage, e.g.: heavy hail or strong wind. The last disadvantage is that the structural elements may cast shadow on the plants.
Types of greenhouses:
- heated – you can grow more species of plants in it, keeping the temperature at a constant level, which significantly reduces the time of cultivation. Generates higher construction and operating costs. Installation of a greenhouse and heating equipment requires specialist knowledge;
- unheated – sufficient for own needs. Allows earlier cultivation of plants. It is more expensive than a foil tunnel and cheaper than a heated greenhouse.
Formalities related to building a greenhouse
The construction of a home greenhouse requires a notification to the County Office or the municipal office competent for the property, if its area does not exceed 35m2. For each 500m2 you can build maximum two such objects. If the built-up area exceeds 35m2, then you need to apply for a building permit.
Where is the best place to build a greenhouse?
A greenhouse is best built on a flat and sunny area. The longest part should be located on the east-west axis. This will ensure better sunlight. If you like to DIY, then see also how to make a playground in the garden yourself
What is important to remember when building a greenhouse?
When building a greenhouse there are a few important things to remember
- It is advisable to place the greenhouse on concrete foundations e.g.: concrete blocks. If the greenhouse is larger, it is advisable to pour a traditional foundation. The foundations should not be wider than 15 cm. The load-bearing elements should be made of aluminium or wood (they need to be regularly maintained).
- The covering of the greenhouse is very important. The material must be durable with proper thermal insulation. The light transmission is also important. Greenhouses are usually covered with glass or polycarbonate.
- The greenhouse should have a shading and ventilation system. Both systems should be placed already at the stage of its construction.
- It is very important to equip the greenhouse with an irrigation system such as: drip irrigation.
Main photo: Free-Photos/pixababy.com